So basically, AniBoom Shapeshifter was a web program used to make animations using 4 basic shapes.
It had a niche but active community with tons of awesome projects before it was discontinued in 2011 (but still accessible via direct link) then the site shut down in 2016, pretty much wiping almost everything from the website. I still have fond memories of some amazing and also odd animations I've seen during my earlier years on the internet.
I still have the source file for the program itself and have it archived. It still has its basic functions, just has some parts that depended on the website itself.
What I wanna dump here is how I imagine an improved version of Shapeshifter to be like.
1. Saving + Exporting
- Backing up projects cause overwritten data due to no prompt for save location.
- Cannot save multiple projects.
- Exports only as GIFs
- Add "Save" option to store projects in an accessible folder (in Videos or Documents) + "Save As" prompt to let users choose where projects can be saved
- Export in video formats (.mp4 and such) + frame by frame PNGs in a ZIP
- Can only add and edit 1 frame at a time
- Timeline seeker is too simple
- Groups do not work unless selected in list, not workspace
- Zooming doesn't allow restoring the workspace until you click Play
- Color picker doesn't accept hex or RGB values
- No true layers
- No motion-tweening
- No grid or guides
- Shapes are always opaque
- FPS limited to 12/24
- Only 4 sound slots to use (Custom sounds required some form of membership, still limited to 4 or 8)
- Selection box resets to square despite shape orientation, causing unwanted skewing
- Multi-selection for frames + Add multiple frames at once
- Remake timeline to look similar to modern animation programs like Adobe Animate + layers
- Groups work by selected shapes in groups
- Add "Restore Zoom" button
- Add hex + RGB value picker
- Layers with blend modes (please for the love of god)
- Customizable grids + guides
- Customizable opacity for shapes
- Add motion-tweening with path shapes + customizable easing functions (shape go WEEE)
- Button to restore selected shapes to original shape and/or size
- Edit FPS to take custom values
- Allow custom audio to be placed in timeline in a separate layer(s)
- Fixed selection box that matches shape orientation + Hold SHIFT or ALT to skew
And of course, make this a desktop program instead of a web-based one. Not everyone has internet all the time + we dont need it locked away during outages or maintenance periods.
If I had more coding knowledge I probably would've gotten to work to making this a real thing, but that may have to wait a bit. I'm very passionate about this since it was one of my first experiences with animation, so this is a bit of an ambitious concept I have, lmao